Friday, May 25, 2012

Yellow, Blue, Black Friday

Hello friends,

I cannot believe I'm posting again this week! I'm on "vacation" this week trying to get the draft of my research paper out the doors, and look at me - I'm crafting instead of writing... That speaks of my priorities, right? lol I guess I need a HUGE kick in my butt to concentrate and do the damn thesis, but I must tell ya - I'm soooo tired of studying, I crave to have time to do fun things... Well, my plan for today is to write as much as possible right after I finish this post (sounds like I'm making a deal with myself, lol)

Today I'm showing a card that I created following this week's challenge over at Stamping Bella, which is to use yellow, blue and black for the card. I love yellow-blue combinations!!! As for black, I don't use it. It's like one of the no-nos, something in a taboo zone... To me, black is a mourning colour, and who needs sadness on a greeting card? Well, a couple of fantastic artists changed my mind completely on the subject of black colour and its use in cardmaking - PaulaBella and CathaBella. They use black to highlight their cards, and it looks FANTASTIC every time they do it! Nothing sad, nothing depressing, just a really great way to pop up an image or the colour of the DP. I'm still a bit hesitant to use black (thinking that my perceptions of black might somehow translate to the card I'm making), and this week challenge had REALLY been challenging for me. It's an absolute "out of the comfort zone" colour combo for me, and I must say I like how the card turned out (well, to be brutally honest, I don't know if I did not go overboard with black and despite the bright & summery yellow/blue the card is yet a bit sad...). I used KOI markers on watercolour paper to colour the Flower Garden image, some Distress ink for yellow shadow around the image, Martha Stewart's punch for the little white border, Elizabeth Crafts' Shimmer Sheets paired with a Sizzix embossing folder, some stitching around, and here is my card. Thank you so much for dropping by!!!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Olga, your card is bright and cheerful, nothing depressing about it at all. I too like to highlight an image with a bit of black. It's very striking indeed. Well done! hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful is this Olga well done it is so bright and cheerful , a fabulous card Hugs Elaine

    ReplyDelete